Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Pencil and Watercolor Portrait

This Gal was a true farm women
in every sense of the word. I didn't 
know her personally, but I grew to know  her
through her loving granddaughter's
tales of her. She grew most of her food 
and canned it all herself, including jams and jellies.
She dealt with the farm animals. As an elderly 
lady she was knocked down by a Bull Cow and
got back up and shoved it aside. She chopped
her own wood. Not too many years before her
death she was out chopping wood when she
accidentally smashed her thumb, and 
in her characteristic 
way she left her work gloves on thinking
that it would be better later on in the 
day...only to find out it was getting worse! 
She ended up having to have it amputated.
She was one tough cookie, but tender enough to raise
a granddaughter like her own. I would have been
proud to have been able to call her my grandmother! 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for doing this for my Sister's bday present..I love it and you did such a wonderful job..you made me cry and I am a bit of a tough old bird like my Grandma..she would have liked it too. Thanks Agiain!

daves said...

This is the style I'm used to seeing from you - STAY WITH THIS!!!

Michelle Morlan said...

Is that an order?
I do love this style of art. However, there are too many cool things to try to stick with just one thing! ;)
Thanks!